Friday, February 21, 2014

What I'm Drinking: Caramel Macchiato Martini

The other morning I was cleaning out a cupboard and found a nearly-empty bottle of Kahlua stashed in the back (yes, I find alcohol in random places in my house; don't judge). All of a sudden a brilliant thought occurred to me: I should invent the caramel macchiato martini! The ingredients were at once clear to me, although I knew the ratios would take a bit of tweaking. I put the bottle and other non-perishable ingredients on the counter and waited for a more appropriate time to begin experimenting (like after lunch).

After a bit of experimentation, I eventually discovered the perfect blend, and oh, boy! This one is a keeper! All I kept thinking was "how have I not thought of this before?!" It is dangerously delicious. Like Lays chips betcha-can't-drink-just-one delicious. And I was incredibly proud of myself.


Only later did I get around to checking for existing recipes, and found that (of course) there are plenty. So I can't claim to be the inventor of this concoction, but I can claim this particular recipe as my own.

The key to my recipe is the vanilla. Others called for caramel vodka and regular cream, but the little known secret to a Starbucks-style caramel macchiato is the vanilla syrup (it's basically a vanilla latte with caramel sauce). My version gets a double-dose of vanilla with both vanilla vodka and vanilla soy. Trust me, you get plenty caramel flavor with the caramel sauce alone.


So here's what you'll need:

  • Kahlua (or some other coffee liquor, this one would be appropriate)
  • Vanilla Vodka
  • Milk or Cream (I use Vanilla Silk)
  • Caramel Syrup
Start by filling a cocktail shaker half-way with ice. Add 1 1/2 oz of Kahlua, 1 1/2 oz of vanilla vodka, and 3 oz of milk, and shake what your momma gave ya.



Next, drizzle the inside of a martini glass with the caramel syrup. Working quickly, before the caramel all slides to the bottom of the glass, strain the liquid from the shaker into the glass. Sip & enjoy!

Unlike some martinis, this one is delightfully drinkable - not too strong or overpowering. It goes down easy just like its namesake.


Well, that's it for me this week. Hope you all have a lovely weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment