Friday, January 24, 2014

What I'm Drinking

**I'm starting a new tradition here at 52 Reasons. Every Friday at 5:00 I'll be sharing a new or favorite drink that I'm enjoying. I hope you enjoy! :)

It's cold here in Central Indiana. Like, so-cold-it-burns-and-what-the-hell-is-up-with-these-nose-icicles cold. It basically sucks, and makes me want to bury myself under my down comforter and not come out until spring. But life must go on.

Thankfully there's wine.

Cold weather always makes me switch from iced cocktails and beer to red wine. It has a definite warming effect...and right now, I'll take all the warm I can get. And it's almost always gluten-free, which is a definite plus for me.

So being the wise and crafty person that I am, instead of braving the cold myself, I oh-so-sweetly asked my dear boyfriend to stop and pick up a bottle for me on his way home from work. He asked what brand I wanted, and I responded, with confirmed faith in his wine-picking abilities, that he would know what I liked. With the help of a knowledgable clerk, he brought home this:


Lately, I've been digging the California reds. This one was described by the clerk as "like Apothic Red, but better," a description that actually made me a little nervous, as Apothic is a little on the sweet side for my taste. Luckily this wine, was indeed better than Apothic.

Now here's where I have to add a disclaimer: I am by no means an expert on wines. I sometimes know what I like. Other times, I choose wine by how pretty the label is. My palette is not refined, and I would likely have a hard time distinguishing between a cheap wine and an expensive one (though I wouldn't know, since I only buy the cheap, pretty ones). 

That being said, I thought this wine was good. Not the best I've had, but good. 

It did give me the opportunity to use the new drip stoppers I recently picked up as a replacement for these plastic ones (which are too big for the bottle's opening and eventually cracked from us trying to force them to work...disappointing). 


The new ones work well so far and definitely seem sturdier. We'll see how they hold up over time.

Wanna play along? I'd love to hear what you'll be imbibing this weekend...Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment