Thursday, April 4, 2019

"Such a Good Day" for Hip Kit Club

Today I'm sharing a layout I made for Hip Kit Club* using their gorgeous March Kits



So let me start by saying that this layout was a labor of love. The original footage was well over an hour long and that doesn't include the times I had to just walk away and let my brain contemplate things for a bit. I had so much trouble putting it all together and made quite a few missteps, but in the end I really like how it turned out. And it's grown on me. I like it more today than the day I finished it...or the day after that.



It all started with the "Blissful" paper from Maggie Holmes Sunny Days. I'll be honest and say that when I saw that paper in the kit, I was like, "how the hell am I gonna use this?!" I knew I could fussy cut the butterflies, but I had two full sheets of this paper. I don't like butterflies that much.



But the B-side totally reminded me of vintage postcards or photos you might find at an antique store. The kind with handwritten notes on them about where they were taken. I knew I could do something with that.



My next step was finding a photo to work with. I knew I wanted a beach photo, because, well obvs, and I wanted a landscape, something that had that same kind of postcard feel as that photos in that paper. I started searching through iPhoto, but then I remembered that I had this old print in my box of photos. It was perfect.



Once I got to that point I could actually start focusing on my Design Team assignment, which was to use the March cut files. I knew I wanted to use the camera, and the title was another easy choice. I'd also been wanting to do an offset layered title for like, months, so again decision made.



Then basically all that was left to do was to embellish. Ha! I say that like it was the easy part. Nope. It took me so long and so many tries to get the embellishing right, but if you want to see how that went down, you'll just have to watch the video.



Have I mentioned here how much I love the March kits from Hip Kit Club? Cuz I do. Like, a lot. The mix of Maggie Holmes's Sunny Days and Heidi Swapp's Color Fresh is on point. I cannot get enough. I'm a little sad that I'm going to have to put them aside when my April kits come....sigh.



Happy Crafting!

*As a member of their Design Team, Hip Kit Club sends me their kits for free in exchange for using them in my projects.

No comments:

Post a Comment