Wednesday, June 21, 2017

January Kit Update

Yes, I know it's June. Sometimes living life gets in the way of sharing it.

So today I wanted to give you an update on how I used my January kit. In case you've forgotten, this year I decided to abandon all of my kit subscriptions and create my own monthly kits from my overflowing stash in an attempt to use what I have. You can read more about my decision and see the contents of my January kit here.

First of all, I want to tell you that the monthly kits are working out perfectly...well, almost perfectly, but we'll get to that later. I am a bit behind in using them up, but I'm working my way through them. My goal for each kit was to use to create at least 3 layouts, 1 card, and my monthly Project Life spread. So far I've been able to do that plus some. I loaded these kits with plenty of products.

Back to the January kit. I love that I was able to get three very different looks from this one kit.


This layout is definitely my favorite. I stuck to papers that were grey, blue, green, and yellow, leaving out the pinks. I'm usually at a loss when it comes to using floral stickers on my pages, but with a little inspiration (found here) I was able to incorporate them in a fun way. Love the way this turned out!



The second layout is a traditional 12x12. I challenged myself to use one of the doilies from the kit, something I very rarely use. It turned out a little "girly" for my taste, but with all the pinks in this kit, I guess that was bound to happen. I didn't have a pink mist to match, so I mixed up some watercolors to create the splatters. Overall, I think it turned out nicely.


I have to be honest, I'm not in love with this third layout. the watercolor didn't work out the way I had planned, and it warped the cheap cardstock I had on hand. The layers are a little off to my eye, and the stamping may have been a mistake. I'm not in love with it, but I guess that's just the way it goes sometimes. 


A friend of mine had a birthday in February, so I decided to use the kit to make her birthday card. I'm not normally a card-maker, which is part of the reason I challenged myself to make a card every month with these kits. I'm actually really happy with the way it turned out, even if the ink did smudge a bit on the title. It's very simple, but I think it's kinda cute. I even made the envelope myself from a paper in the kit. :)








































That just leaves the Project Life pages from January, which I'll share in another post. I have a bit more to say about how these kits are working (or not) for Project Life, and this post is long enough as it is.


No comments:

Post a Comment